[meteorite-list] OT: Green LASER Pointers

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Wed Nov 29 16:20:58 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

I have a number of green laser pointers -- from 35mW up to
100mW.  They're definitely addictive, and spectacular at night.
[I probably don't need to tell list members this, but DON'T EVER
point a green laser of any power at another person, animal, or
aircraft.  For obvious reasons the latter case is a federal
felony.]

Any green laser above about 75mW will melt/burn black or dark
green plastic (e.g. Hefty garbage bag) *without* an external
lens.  It will also be uncomfortably hot if the beam is
maintained on a spot of skin for more than a few seconds.
I don't believe it is legal to sell green lasers above 5mW in
the U.S.; however, they are readily available over the internet
from the UK, China and Hong Kong.

Expect to pay $2 to $3 a milliwatt for pen-style lasers above
10mW.  Don't ever pay $100 for a 5mW green laser (the typical
price you see in astronomy magazines or stores like Frye's
Electronics).   --Rob