[meteorite-list] monomict vs.polymict

Mr EMan mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 22:41:16 EST 2006

Hello Steve, Listoids,

These are the terms describing the composition of
meteorite breccias not just Eucrites. "Poly" means
plural-- or many, and "mono" means single.  In a
monomict all the clasts are of the same type and class
(i.e. Lithologies).  Meaning they came from a single
parent body. In a polymict it has more than two or
more lithologies.  Indicating some sort of collision
and melding of material from different areas of the
same parent or different parents.  Technically, in my
book, a Howardite, while being a regolith (i.e.
asteroidal soil) is also a pollymict breccias.

Elton