[meteorite-list] Essexite Gabbro - Not Mars Meteorite

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Thu Nov 30 19:30:01 EST 2006

Dear Steve and Gary, Listees,

I had forgotten about Steve S.'s  involvement in this case.  I just wanted
to express my appreciation to Gary for sharing this project with the list
and having the iniciative to persevere to a gold standard collaborative
conclusion.  Steve Schoner's contributions to meteoritics are legendary and
rightfully worthy of great respect.

I to also make an extra plug for Gary.  It's not every day a Newbee (at that
time, anyway) on the list becomes so enthusiastic and does such a bang-up
job, in the appropriate channels (earning him a thank you from an enthused
geologist) while weathering met-list critical group-think.  Congratulations,
Gary, and thanks for sticking to your guns and letting many of us learn
about this together with you.  IMO this is science at its very best in a
nutshell.  The chase is over and the fact that the seller seemes delusional
doesn't tarnish in the slightest the success and enjoyment from your
Galilean project.  As Steve points out, you just helped debunk a $33,000,000
apparent fraud!  I'm thoroughly impressed by both of you and the page you
put up was great.  You might consider offering to the IMCA (via Ken Newton)
a link to you, or cover your and Steve's great story.

Best wishes, Doug