[meteorite-list] What else do you collect?

Eduardo. rockhoundm at abaconet.com.ar
Thu Nov 30 13:07:19 EST 2006

I started collecting stamps and seashells when I was a small kid.
Then when I was 12 a friend of my father (a micromounter of minerals)
gave me my first fossils and minerals. I was amazed with the fossil
seashells and ammonites, as one of my most loved seashells were the
nautilus. For several years fossils were my main interest, then I turned
to both minerals and fossils.
I also like archeology. For the last 20 years I’ve been trying to get
some representative items of worldwide different cultures.
And about 12 years ago I discovered the meteorites.
My seashell collection is still at my parents house, but did not add
anything in the last 25 years.
Stamps collecting was dropped several years ago (except for some related
with minerals, fossils, meteorites and mineral collecting/deposits/mining
I like).
I have a cabinet with about 300 archealogy pieces (rarely add something
new here).
And now my three main collecting areas are: Minerals, Fossils and
Meteorites
Lets start with Minerals: I have over 11000 Micromounts with about 2500
different species, a fluorescent collection of 300 specimens with over
150 different minerals, and another 2000 specimens displayed in 12
cabinets including one with about 150 different pseudomorphs. I
especially like Sulfides, Fluorites and the Phosphate / Arseniante /
Vanadate group.
About fossils, I have 7 cabinets with over 600 fossils, and lots of
drawers, totaling about 1500 more fossil remains, especially cephalopods
(amonites, nautilus, etc).
And finally my most recent collection: Meteorites. In the beginning they
were included in my mineral collection, and about 6 years ago I start
building a separated collection which now consist of  about 340
meteorites, with over 300 different ones including 100 different falls
and 100 different not sahara/dag/nwa finds. I have them in 3 cabinets in
a humidity controlled room.
Eduardo