[meteorite-list] Dig Turns Up Little At MysteriousNewport Tower *except for a meteorite)

Thaddeus Besedin endophasy at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 17:28:39 EST 2006

E.P. Grondine and list,
  I certainly agree. Researchers often relegate strata
unrelated temporally to a target component to the waste-heap of total irrelevance, often due to a progressively (regressively) narrowed perspective and/or lack of time/funds (weather? what a joke! temporary structures such as canopies can be built. This all should have been anticipated in that part of the world). I believe no irreversible, destructive excavation work (as if there is any other) should be undertaken without a research design accounting for all site formation processes, and not at all if an artifact-fetish motivates attitudes. Charcoal and other organics (if recovered at all) was discarded frequently during excavation before the advent of C14 dating, and lithic debitage, a highly informative artifact class, was largely ignored until the '70s. Thermally-affected rocks are usually only counted, weighed, and discarded in contemporary excavations. Invasive field archaeology is only maximally informative as a highly systematic recordation of a site that values
 tedious redundancy - statistical redundancy - and is not biased by a "search" or "discovery" of a  "people," "culture," or other construct bound to one of many competing theories or in verifying (as opposed to falsifying - in the Popperian sense) a selected hypothesis. Archaeology is not ethnography.
   Populations utilizing the Newport Tower may have buried objects to extreme depth, overlooked because of age (not to mention also that chemical pedology is specifically and uniquely contingent on the presence of metals or organic remains not otherwise associated with each other - affecting precipitation in a predictable manner). We must anticipate revolutions in analytical field methods, which is to anticipate better analytical technologies as well as a more holistic awareness of physical conditions commanding the collection of data-sets often ignored in "ordinary" contexts. Very large hydrologic-geomorphological data-sets will be necessary to the the future of geoarchaeological research of Acheulian European sites, for example; most sites like this have been redeposited by Pleistocene alluvial process, but will be interpreted with much greater certainty as technology permitting fast, accurate mass data acquisition and physical analysis becomes inexpensive.
  If my reading is correct, some work at Newport Tower sounds like bad CRM archaeology, necessarily controlled by and preocuppied with issues like 'significance,' with time, money, and impetus always too limited. Better attention to chemical precipitates, if iron residues can be morphologically detected physically as discrete anomalies, may reveal traces of iron artifacts (perhaps only oxidizing into ostensive oblivion).
  It's all too expensive.
  Too bad we can't re-excavate.

  ... and students ... . I know of a student who, during the excavation of a California Archaic (Millingstone Horizon - La Jolla [San Marcos]), troweled right through a rare hearth feature in their 1x1m unit, and simply did not record or otherwise mention it. A sense of shame and regret motivated this action (rather a lack of action) once it was recognized that ANY damage had been done. Data still could have been collected from some in situ portion of the hearth.

   "Error" or "inexperience" of a student led to the inadvertent and auspicious discovery of an important object irrelevant to historical reconstruction. Carelessness due to inexperience and a lack of accountability led to incomplete chronostratigraphic calibration somewhere else.
  -Thaddeus Besedin
  (a student of geoarchaeology - pardon the false pedantry)

  "E.P. Grondine" <epgrondine at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi all -

"They were not paying attention to that level"

This gets my blood pressure up. While from what I
read, the excavators were constrained by time and
weather, given the uniqueness of the site, they should
have been "paying attention".

good hunting,
Ed
Man and Impact in the Americas