[meteorite-list] Was: Meteorite novels -gifts II New Topicstitle- Meteorites and Archaeology

E.P. Grondine epgrondine at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 19:25:54 EST 2006

Hi Sterling, Dirk, Doug, List -

Dirk's timeline never made it to me.  While I did not
cover Navajo or Hopi traditions or their
archaeological sequences in "Man and Impact in the
Americas", I don't have a problem with Dene (Navajo)
settlement at those times. The problem with the
"Athabascan Bastards" hypothesis is that the pueblos
were apparently under attack several hundred years
earlier. Of course, given the Mushkogean traditions,
there is an easy explanation available for this data.

This might be academic, but how populations responded
to climate changes in North America, and when those
climate changes occured, are not exactly trivial
questions. How did the Maunder Minimum affect North
America?

Dirk asks in another message about reviews.  Well,
some of the few people who have read my book think its
pretty good. It is under review by NPS for carrying in
their shops, but to say the least, recent impact
events are controversial, at least for the time being.

I'm sorry "Man and Impact in the Americas" does not
include more meteorite lore, but there was other more
essential information that needed to be covered in it.
 Without my stroke, my copy editors illness, and my
production manager's father's death, many of the
typos/errors in it would have been caught, and there
would have been a lot more illustrations.

I read or at least looked at a lot of what is out
there while putting the book together, and in my
opinion it is the finest single volume introduction
available for the peoples east of the Mississippi
River. At least a few other people agree.

I did what I could.

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>