[meteorite-list] Meteorite novels -gifts II

Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 28 02:15:07 EST 2006

 Hi, Doug,

   Hijacking your nice thread again...

   The tektites in Tikal didn't "find their way" there
by any other means than falling out of the sky. They
have been found in the temples, anciently collected,
and one much more degraded one has been found
in the forests surrounding.

   Alan Hildebrandt dated them and they fall right
into the upper end of the dating spread for Australite/
Indochinite tektites, which, surprise! they look just
exactly like. Grab your globe and give it a twirl.
Tikal's "antipodal point" is on the western edge of
the Australo-Asian strewn field. Likewise, an Ivorite
was recovered from off shore of the Australian coast.
equally antipodal to Ivory Coast, unless you think
"the currents" carried it there -:) laughing...

     Casa Grande was found in 1867: "A mass of 3407lb
was found in an ancient tomb, E.G. Tarayre (1867).
L. Fletcher (1890) implies that this mass was presented
to the Smithsonian Institution in 1876. First Description,
W. Tassin (1902). Analysis, 7.74 %Ni, G.P. Merrill (1913).
Historical note, O.E. Monnig (1939)..."

    Somebody asked for referrences on meteorite collecting
by early American cultures (Maybe Ed). Here's one about
Hopewell meteorite collecting, except it goes on to discuss
dozens of other cultures, locales, and meteorites including Casa
Grandes. It's a nice piece of work by Olaf Prufer:
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/4817/1/V61N06_341.pdf

    No surprize, H. H. Nininger wrote "METEORITE COLLECTING
AMONG ANCIENT AMERICANS" in 1938. That paper can be
found at:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-7316(193807)4%3A1%3C39%3AMCAAA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-W
but it's where no mere mortal without official access can view it...
You can read the first page, though, which is enough to see that
it covers much the same ground as the paper previously cited
(up above this one) which you can get to see (and download).

    Handing the thread back to you, Doug.

 Sterling K. Webb