[meteorite-list] Fireball Shoots Across Australian Sky

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 27 12:27:54 EST 2006

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200611/1798687.htm?southeastsa

'Fireball' shoots across SA sky
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
November 27, 2006

There have been reports of at least one large fireball
in the sky over south-eastern South Australia.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says the fireball was
most likely a meteor.

It shot across the sky soon after 8:00pm ACDT and was
followed by what sounded like a large explosion.

BOM and police say they have received dozens of phone
calls from residents in Adelaide and as far away as
the Victorian border.

One Riverland resident, Dennis Schiller, was
travelling in his car when he saw it.

"We were looking to the south and this massive
fireball came out of the sky and it seemed to
increase as it come down," he said.

"We were absolutely amazed with what we saw ... and
we were there discussing it and it would have been
a good two minutes later that we heard a massive
explosion."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20832210-1702,00.html

Sunset 'comet' reported across state
news.com.au (Australia)
November 27, 2006

RESIDENTS in central and western Victoria have reported seeing a bright
light, possibly a comet, streaking across the sky just before sunset.

Callers to ABC Radio reported seeing the bright green coloured object
shooting westward in the sky from Bendigo to Horsham in the state's
northwest down to Colac in the southwest.

One caller, Jeff, said he saw what he thought was a comet about 8.30pm
(AEDT) as he was driving into Horsham.

"It was green like a meteorite or shooting star," he told ABC Radio.

"It was really pretty bright and you could see something else coming
down as well, but what it was I don't know.

"It more or less came across the west as you were coming into Horsham
from the Melbourne side."

Monty from Kaniva, near the South Australia border, said the object was
bright and appeared to debris trailing behind it.

"It was before sunset and normally you only see those things in the
dark," Monty said.

"The trail hung in the sky for at least 15 minutes afterward like a jet
stream.

Allen at Colac said he was sitting at a service station when he noticed
what he thought was a comet.

"I was sitting at the Shell servo at Colac and I was looking to the
north and you could see the green light with the tail thing behind it."

Brian, who owns a farm at Laanecoorie (Laanecoorie) west of Bendigo said
he and his wife were outside when they saw the comet-like object streak
across the sky.

"We looked up and there was a green comet like thing dropping out of the
western sky," Brian said.

"It dropped over the trees at the back of our property and it was making
a tail as it went down."

Victoria Police said they had received calls from residents across the
state's west, but were unsure what the object was.