[meteorite-list] Bolide

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 21 17:38:21 EST 2006

That Wikipedia article definitely needs repair. The author has
completely misread the report on hazardous objects. It isn't true that
objects need to be 50 m in diameter in order to produce meteorites (and
the report doesn't say this). Meteoroids smaller than 1 m can produce
meteorites, and objects larger than about 10 m can reach the ground with
some cosmic velocity intact.

This reminds me of the whole IAU planet mess. I really think it's stupid
to try and make these arbitrary size classifications. Something much
simpler would do. For instance, "asteroid" is any non-icy body smaller
than a planet, meaning anything too small to become spherical by self
gravity. A "meteoroid" is any body that creates a meteor- from a grain
of dust to a 10 km comet. An "impactor" is a meteoroid that hits the
ground. A "bolide" is a category of meteor (not meteoroid) that exhibits
fragmentation (and most definitely not an impactor). A "fireball" is
also a category of meteor. It would be nice if the definition for that
was based on absolute magnitude and not apparent, however.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com