[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day: Moss Thin Section

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Tue Nov 21 11:27:27 EST 2006

http://www.spacerocksinc.com/RSPOD.html

Thanks for all your support!

Thank *you*, Michael, for *your* support!

Hey folks, look at that thin section of the Moss CO3.5/3.6. If you see what I see,
then we are looking at a very unusual CO3 matrix. Assuming the section is ground
to the standard thickness of 0.03 mm, assuming that this thin section is from a
fresh, unweathered fragment of this fall, I think I can see a lot of tan-colored
crystals and crystal clusters, which would point toward a pyroxene-rich matrix
instead of an olivine-rich matrix. A look at this section under crossed polars
would be very helpful!

And, what kind of chondrule is that left of center about 3.5 mm over the 5 mm
bar? A bull's-eye chondrule (bleached chondrule) because of its dark interior
and its white rim?

Are there several crystal clusters meeting in triple or even quatruple junction?

Cheers,

Bernd

To: SPACEROCKSINC at aol.com
    meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com