[meteorite-list] ANOTHER QUESTION

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:44:28 EST 2006

My understanding is that the IAU Commission 22 formally defined
"fireball" back in the 1960s as any meteor equal or greater in
luminosity to the brightest planet, without assigning an actual value.
The brightest planet is Venus, and its magnitude at peak brightness
is -4, which is why most researchers (including myself) use that value
for fireballs. From a purely technical standpoint, the term isn't really
all that useful anyway. The magnitude is apparent, so the same event may
be a fireball to one person and an ordinary meteor to another who is
farther away. One of the first things that gets done in analyzing a
bright meteor is to convert to absolute magnitude, since it's possible
to do something with that.

It isn't always easy tracking down IAU definitions. If somebody is aware
of a later definition, or an online reference to the Commission 22
definitions, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com