[meteorite-list] ANOTHER QUESTION

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:06:21 EST 2006

If you like. I've never heard that usage, however, and wouldn't use it
myself. A hole in the ground is made by an impactor as far as I'm
concerned. Using "bolide" in that way just further confuses things.

"Bolide" is almost always used to describe a meteor that explodes or
fragments (in the air). That's a reasonable usage, and maybe the IAU
should so define it. Confusion comes from using "bolide" and "fireball"
as if they were synonyms, which they are not. That's why I use
"fireball" for a bright meteor, and simply qualify it with a description
using terms like "fragmentation".

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory