[meteorite-list] Handling rust problems after buying Irons

Matthias Bärmann majbaermann at web.de
Mon Nov 20 11:35:12 EST 2006

Hello list, Martin , -

at first: thanks so much to all of you offering your experience, your ideas
and even your real support. That's all very much appreciated!

Well, we all agree that  1. as human beings we are (necessarily) friends of
oxygen;  2.

as meteorite-aficionados we are bitter enemies of oxygen.

Because oxygen makes our breathtaking iron- (and sometimes even stone-)
pieces rust.

So the main thing I wanted to underline with my initial posting is: problems
always can happen. But the seller of these always unique pieces should feel
responsible for the material he sold (as the collector should do so in
caring about them, keeping and treating them in the right way).

Well, I'm aware that the definition of "responsibility" is a wide field
(following famous German novelist Fontane). But a minimum would be that a
seller should be open to staying in contact with his clients and to discuss
eventual problems with them, trying to support them - what at least wouldn't
be so bad for his business.

Martin, you wrote: "Naked (the pieces, not me)". Well, otherwise a deep
black fresh crusted piece would have changed to red immediately - "sweating
blood" seems to be the new metaphor for that phenomenon ;-) Anyway, I can
assure you that I don't count me to the insatiable type of collector you
mention in your posting.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Matthias