[meteorite-list] ANOTHER QUESTION

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Mon Nov 20 10:40:11 EST 2006

Hello Jeff,

"Negative magnitude" would be anything brighter than Vega: Normally a meteor
on the order of magnitude of the 0 magnitude reference star Vega is great
but I think still too dim in loose language to start being called a
fireball.  Earth-centered as we are, I think fireball in common use has come
to means at least as bright as Venus (-3.8 to -4.6) and thus brighter than
anything except the Sun and Moon).  But, if it leaves a persistent train or
has other interesting performances, I doubt anyone would say it couldn't be
called a fireball because it was only as bright as Jupiter one of its
brighter days (-2.8) :-)