[meteorite-list] How did the martian and lunar cuttings make out atMunich?

Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Mon Nov 20 06:29:17 EST 2006

Hi Ed,

excellently.
The little boxes with the Apollo-pictures were a true hit.
We offered them with four different sample sizes, S, M, L - and for our
coffee kitty (?) in XS. They were better than crumbs or dust, as even with
the small sizes, here and there one can see a little shock vein with naked
eye. People liked them a lot, but funny enough not the main audience of
Germans/Bavarians with their all in all strrrrange attitude.
We set up on our table a special show case, or better to say, an altar
containing the entire main mass of our new 4483 (the little boxes contain
material of 4483), as well as an endcut of 4483, for the people being able
to see, how it looks inside and a full slice of the not yet introduced 4485.
Additionally our table was flanked with stacks of fliers, we had printed,
telling about and explaining lunaites.
Well - in series you could see the Munich audience stepping to our table,
knowingly mugging and shaking the heads, telling depreciatory remarks to
their company, that our Moons would be lies and deception.
A stunning behaviour, totally unlike the audience from other countries, who
at least kindly asked, why those stones should be from Moon and how one
could proof it and who thankfully listened to our explanations.
Even more funny were the other half of the Germans, they were passing by
with their eyes fixed strictly on the edge of the table, where they expected
to find the cheapest pieces and they even didn't see our Moons, despite the
pompous presentation.
Ed, there I learned in what for a strange city I'm living...

So all in all we sold to the Germans - 3 pieces of Moon boxes, 2XS and 1M
(an expert, yippie!).
But we didn't mind, because resellers from Japan, USA, Italy, Norway..
bought the boxes by the dozens or whole trays of them (containing 20pcs)
for their geological or for their museum shops, so that we were sold out
before the show ended and we saw, that we hadn't produced enough of them.

That's also the reason, why we haven't resolved the naming competition yet,
because we had to tinker new ones first and that's also the reason, why we
haven't tried them on ebay yet, because from experience then orders for
larger quantities would be to expect, which at present we couldn't serve.
(Just a new series is finished, hence if someone from the list want to have
them, email us quickly.)

Btw. from the suggested names for the boxes, I like a lot: "Chladni's Deli",
but as I'm not an Anglophone native speaker, I'm not sure about the use of
that term - here in Germany it is only used as, well as, "delicacy".
In USA too? Help!

A few larger slices of 4483 we sold too, but not that much, because we
already had provided the specialized collectors before. (with the other
Moon, there will be almost no presale, because as it's unpaired, we'll wait
until the papers are ready, but also there we prepared some of the boxes).

Chladni's Delis with Martians we hadn't.
Mars in recent times is carried by such a strong updraft, that it's easy to
sell large slices and as fine the little boxes are, it's a lot of work to
produce them, so we avoided until now, to make some Martian boxes.

But perhaps in Tucson, we'll have some for you :-)
Ooops, I have to write to Geoff, whether meanwhile a better suite will be
available in the Innsuites, whether perhaps someone cancelled or how much we
have to collect for a bribe. Already in May no room in 1st and 2nd floor was
available anymore and we were told, that on 3rd floor, no collector will
visit us :-(

Buckleboo!
Martin