[meteorite-list] Hot vs Cold was Astronomy Picture of the Day

Mr EMan mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 21:17:02 EST 2006

It is the old Hot vs Cold debate.

There are lots of factors that govern when it is hot
and when it is cold.  Monahans was recovered
immediately and was almost too hot to hold.
Westfield(?) was seen to form a frost rine on the
exposed surface a few minutes after the fall. For
there to be any sensation of warmth heat conductivity
has to proceed faster than ablation removes hot
material from the surface.

 I believe there is some shallow heat buildup around
the surface of stonys but pyroxines are poor
conductors of heat so it doesn't amount to much
interior heating.  Irons are much better conductors of
heat so they tend to retain heat longer but shouldn't
be as hot to the hand as the heat is stored throughout
the entire mass.

Elton