[meteorite-list] Lousy Leonids, good Geminids!

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Sun Nov 19 19:55:21 EST 2006

Hi Chris, Bob and Listees; Geminid fans,

Yup, thanks for mentioning the Geminids -  you're both right that there is
one nice possible shower on December 14 with the Geminids before next
August's 2007 Perseids when the Perseid peak falls during a New Moon and
just before dawn at optimal observing times.

Sorry for overlooking the potential Geminid jubilee, I was thinking it was
washed out by a full moon (that was last year's, not the upcoming one)...but
that can't happen if the shortly later Quadrantids are the ones washed out
by the Full moon.... "duhhh....., in someone's famous word"....

If anyone wants to watch the Geminids as kindly suggested by Chris and Bob,
the peak will be 4:45 CST (10:45 UTC) on the morning of Thursday, Dec. 14,
while the fortunate among us will be getting ready for the annual Christmas
party and preparing to hunt meteorites with Santa...

The Moon will be reasonably bright during the Geminids (33% disk
illumination) and high but bad enough to throw too wet a blanket on the
party, as both of you kindly mentioned!

Chris, I know the Quadrantids aren't the most dependable nor easiest to
catch even under good conditions (not like the old gray mare / old reliable
Perseids) but they gave me the best show of my life - that's why they're my
favorite.  I had counts of 300 per hour under midnight dark and perfectly
clear skies for a few hours - actually well over 1000 per hour during
several spurts when I was stranded in the desert.  That was the only time I
truly felt to be in meteor "shower";  What an indescribably beautiful
fantasyland that was with the radiant at the zenith, perfectly timed to the
hour, with the cactus spines pinching me awake all night and meteors falling
vertically down to all horizons, most frequently in pairs and trios... and
the galaxy glow casting silvery light upon the frightening geological
paradise enough to see cold rattle-snake eyes staring back under every
amorphous dark blob close to the ground around:-)

Best wishes, Doug