[meteorite-list] ANOTHER QUESTION

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 19 19:51:47 EST 2006

I never use the term "bolide" (and discourage its use) since it has no
formal definition. Generally, it is used synonymously with fireball,
often with the added distinction that fragmentation is visible. Whether
you call them fireballs or bolides, however, it's likely that very few
actually produce meteorites. And those that do start large, are
traveling slowly, and enter at a shallow angle. The first two
requirements pretty much eliminate cometary debris that causes meteor
showers.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory