[meteorite-list] ANOTHER QUESTION

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 19 18:29:23 EST 2006

Technically, fireballs virtually never hit the ground. But assuming that
you mean fireballs produce meteorites, even that is hard to quantify. We
assume, based on calculation and observation that many, or even most,
meteorites fragmented from meteors bright enough to be called fireballs.
But that doesn't mean most fireballs produce meteorites.

It is generally thought that in order to produce meteorites, meteors
need to be slow and shallow. Also, they need to be large enough and
sturdy enough that some material survives. Generally, meteorites
represent only a tiny fraction of the original mass.

Different showers produce fireballs for different reasons. Leonids and
Perseids are high velocity. When the particles are large (say, pea
sized), they dissipate a lot of energy at high altitude. This means they
burn up completely. Other showers, like the Geminids, are low velocity.
Larger pieced can survive somewhat lower, and burn in denser air, for
longer times. That's why Geminid trails tend to be longer than Leonid
trails. But aside from questions about the material strength of shower
material (assumed, but without much evidence, to be weak), most of the
material is just too small to survive. It burns completely before it
slows down enough to cool, and drop. There probably isn't much up there
the size of basketballs, or even baseballs. I imagine comets produce
some larger pieces like that, but they would only represent a tiny
fraction of the total. It might be years between Earth collisions with
such large pieces.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory