[meteorite-list] Beauty and the Beast, Tulia (a) +/- Dimmitt

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Thu Nov 16 03:32:26 EST 2006

Mark posted:

> One is a fragment individual with a Nininger number and a second
> collection number.  Could someone identify the
> second collection number for me?  I've seen like collection numbers
> before.
>
> http://www.meteoritearticles.com/coldimmitt.html

Dear Mark and List:

I had the pleasure of discussing this matter in detail with our friend
and colleague Dr. Art Ehlmann, curator of the Monnig Meteorite Gallery.
As Mark already knows, Art and Oscar Monnig were longtime friends, and
Art has been caring for (and expanding) the Monnig collection for many
years.

The Monnig Meteorite Gallery is located in Fort Worth, TX. I heartily
recommend a visit to this excellent museum:
http://www.monnigmuseum.tcu.edu

Mark, regarding your specimen: You are very knowledgeable as it regards
historic specimens, but if I may contradict you in a friendly manner,
the top number "M138.102" is actually a Monnig (Huss) Collection
number, not a Nininger number. "138" was Glenn Huss' designation for
Dimmitt, Texas specimens from the Monnig collection. Glen Huss and
Margaret Nininger Huss cataloged the Monnig collection and painted
those numbers onto the specimens. The lower number "12AV" is a true
original Oscar Monnig number, which predates the later Huss catalog. It
is my understanding that the "12AV" number was painted on by Oscar
himself. As such, your specimen has a double Huss and Monnig provenance
and is a fine and extremely collectible historic specimen. Congrats.

For those who are interested in collection numbers and historic
American meteorites, please see photos of comparable Monnig specimens
(Dimmitt and Tulia) here:

http://www.aerolite.org/historic-meteorites.htm

Sincerely,

Geoff N.