[meteorite-list] NEW photos of the silicated iron. Must see!

Dave Freeman mjwy dfreeman at fascination.com
Fri Nov 10 18:05:11 EST 2006

but wouldn't that be an emerald?
Dear Mark,
My familuarity with chromium diopsite is that they are one of the
mineral indicatiors for diamond/kimberlite occuances.  They are one of
the mantle derived minerals that form at very high pressure and heat
some 50+ miles deep in the Earth's crust.  Pyrope garnets, chrome
diopsite, ilmanite are all in the same group of indicatior minerals.
I have some specimens around here somewhere but they tend to be 1/8th.
inch or so in size and tend to be long slivers, or lath like in
appearance. Larger crystals of chrome diopsite are rare, and quite valuable.
Best,
Dave Freeman
Oh, an emerald is green Beryl.....