[meteorite-list] Brenham Instability Myth

almitt almitt at kconline.com
Tue Nov 7 11:11:08 EST 2006

Hi McCartney,

Your absolutely correct, there are plenty of Brenham specimens that are
stable. I know that there have been some in museums for 70 plus years
that don't appear to have any problems and were probably ones found in
drier areas so they aren't as prone to rust. I am sure they are keeping
it a more environmentally controlled setting compared to most
collectors. A little attention to any meteorite is in order to keep it
preserved.

Any iron (or for that matter) metal object that is exposed to
weather/moisture will corrode as the Oxygen molecules attach themselves
to the material. I've seen my share of rusty Brenhams and they can be a
disaster. I've also seen Brenhams that are stable and only require a bit
of care. I have a slice myself that doesn't cause me problems and I have
had it over ten years.

Those complaining about them or who have had bad experiences with them
haven't handled enough specimens to know that there are decent specimens
around if you know where to find them. I look forward to your report on
the Brenhams and perhaps we can all learn a bit.

--AL Mitterling