[meteorite-list] Mysterious Object , Story from local paper 5-28-06

wahlperry at aol.com wahlperry at aol.com
Sun May 28 14:53:19 EDT 2006

Hi ,

Check this story out.

Sonny

A story last week about a mysterious object that fell through a medical
center's skylight and embedded itself in a wall 18 feet above ground,
prompted readers to call and write with explanations. George Gayner
suggested a huge catapult was used to launch the rock from about 200
feet away from the target. "People are building these things and
testing them, matter a fact I have a model one on my desk," he said.
Another reader, from North Carolina, wrote that the rock was a
"thunderstone." "Numerous cases exist where the stone has actually been
seen to fall and impact the ground or a tree, frequently during a
thunderstorm," Mike Price wrote. "You have reported on a genuine 'rock
fall' object there, a Fortean object and it should be very carefully
studied and preserved."

The object turned out to be nothing more than asphalt.

K.C. HOWARD