[meteorite-list] CV metachondrite pairings

Jeff Grossman jgrossman at usgs.gov
Sat May 20 13:25:26 EDT 2006

At 12:22 PM 5/20/2006, David Weir wrote:
>... then NWA 3133 was determined to be a CV metachondrite and was
>eventually classified as an ungrouped primitive achondrite. I
>suspect it will eventually be reclassified as CV metachondrite
>consistent with what is presented on the NAU website. NWA 1839 never
>made the official transition from L7 to ungrouped PAC, but it too
>will probably eventually get a CV metachondrite label as it is
>presently recognized on the NAU website.

Nothing is likely to appear in the Meteoritical Bulletin or the MB
database as a "metachondrite" until there is a refereed publication
that defines the term and until this term at least partially
displaces "primitive achondrite" in the scientific literature.

jeff

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA