[meteorite-list] BREAK! For the love of meteorites, STOP -- COMET 73/P

Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 14 17:03:31 EDT 2006

Doug, List,

    I abase my unworthy self, to be Japanese about it.
I Googled for orbit data, and didn't Google deep enough.
It's a virtual Jupiter-Earth Shuttle, it seems. I re-traced
my steps from my browser history and discovered a
wrong click pulled the data from a different object, a
perfect three-in-the-morning error.
    At 3 ayem, I should be asleep or squinting at comet
fragments instead of posting... Anyway, I take it all back.
    So close, but so dim. The rapid breakup which formerly
brightened it prematurely is extinguishing it prematurely now.
Why can't we have a nice fresh long-period comet with
an absolute magnitude of -1 and a close approach in the
midnight zenith position for the northern hemisphere at
the time of a new moon?
    Don't want much, do I?

Sterling