[meteorite-list] Clowns . was Self Proclaimed Pairings Issues (SPPI)

Rob Wesel nakhladog at comcast.net
Sat May 6 00:20:11 EDT 2006

Perhaps the term should be "Officially Sorted By A Scientist Over A Few
Beers" or "OSBASOAFB's"

Just what could Dr Irving do in the field that I can't do in my office. Did
he have his field SEM with him, his field ion microprobe, his field
polarascope? Or was he a fish out of water without his lab relying on you to
tell him what was and wasn't a meteorite?

And the MetSoc has no position on selling meteorites yet, though members
have been buying this material.

Jeff Grossman's own unedited words  (he is the NomCom chair Adam if you are
not familiar with his work):

"On the question of pairing... for most meteorites, pairing studies are of
little scientific interest and not worth taking the time to do.  Visual
pairings are almost worthless. For the important meteorites, pairings get
worked out in the scientific literature over time.  This may be unsettling
for some dealers, but that's the way it is."

So apply that to your "cutting parties" and the serious pairing work that
goes on Adam.

I could take these down to Cascadia tomorrow and say "whaddya think" and it
would be no less official than yours.

and finally from Dr Grossman:

" It is acceptable and routine, however, for people to make statements
indicating that various numbered stones may be paired (although I would be
cautious about believing such statements unless they appear in the Bulletin
or other scientific publications)."

So don't proclaim IMCA standards as MetSoc/NomCom standards to me.

Enough was said earlier, you had to open it again.

And you bring up number borrowing, I paid for 20% of the cost to get NWA
1877 classified so it is just as much mine as yours.

Cheap, lazy, thieving, Clown...out :0)

Rob Wesel
http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com
We are the music makers...