[meteorite-list] How to discover asteroid impacts

Impactika at aol.com Impactika at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 23:12:31 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/11/2006 8:57:48 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net writes:
Hi, Darren,  List

I've been searching the desert for additional  craters, too.
Here's a couple more candidates beside the two mentioned
on  the astroseti.org website.

Let me stress that I am  neither a geologist nor an aerial
photointerpreter, so these are just what  looks good to me.

First, 37 miles WSW of the newly  noticed Kebira crater,
at 24 deg 34' North and 24 deg 24' East, is a 2.57  mile
crater. It has no central uplift and has been cut by ancient
stream  courses, so that its interior is at the same level as
the surrounding  terrain. The rim is raised 100 to 300 feet.
There are fairly clear traces of  an outer ring with a diameter
of approximately 9 miles. The ancient eroded  outcrops in
which it lies all have features that run a little west  (east)
of north (south). The crater's arcuate features cut right
across  the "lie of the land."
Frankly, it looks as much (or more)  like a crater than
Kebira itself. The imagery I can access is not  detailed
enough to examine the rim for upturned  strata.

Secondly, at 22 deg North and 16.5 deg East,  there are
a number of features that are eliptical in nature stretching
to  the west of the indicated location. This is a region in which
old outcrops  running almost north-south are being "submerged"
in the Great Sand Sea. Many  features are irregular ovals filled
with sand to the same level as the  surrounding terrain, are
probably former ancient lakes, and lie at the  margins of the
outcrops, as you would expect lakes to do.   <SNIP>
-------

For more information on that area, did you look on my website at the  report
published by a French Expedition:   http://www.impactika.com/acarion.html
And the article in the August issue of  Meteorite magazine, written by Alain
Carion.
They have already found upward  of 100 impact craters in that area. Some are
clearly visible on the  pictures.
Enjoy!

Anne M.  Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com