AW: [meteorite-list] Poll : Online Encyclopedia of Meteorites

Alexander Seidel gsac at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 19:03:35 EST 2006

> In February David Weir wrote about the MetBase Library and how his
> collection is included in it.
> I was wondering how many private collections are included in MetBase
> and how big it has to be, to be included?

The person to answer this with more competence than me is the author
of MetBase himself, Joern Koblitz (koblitz at microfab.de). He probably
is a member of this list and will let you know all the facts in more
detail than I can do here.

But for the sake of a quick late night (local time) answer from
Europe: there is no lower limit for a private collection to be
included, in fact there are many "collections" with only 1 meteorite
in "them" :-). Then again, in my last version of the program I count
236 entries with 10 or more meteorites in the collection, and a new
version seems to be at the doorstep. Joern will add to this, when
he reads it.

As I said in one of my earlier mails, these private collection data
represent nothing but a snapshot in space and time, which is obvious
since we live in an ever changing world - and collector X´s collection
data provided for publication in say 2002 will most probably have
changed by now. But nonetheless you will at least have sort of a good
overview here, and postal addresses of the collectors are included,
which is a value by itself.

> What are the criteria for being included, and how do you get a
> collection included?

Just contact Joern at koblitz at microfab.de, and (afaik) sending your
collection summary (meteorite names and weights) will be all that is
needed to get an entry with the next update.

Alex
Berlin/Germany