[meteorite-list] Meteorite from Jupiter-- uh, I mean TO Jupiter

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 21 20:31:12 EDT 2006

A small meteorite acquires its fusion crust in the fraction of a second
after a larger parent body fragments at high altitude. It almost immediately
loses any forward speed, and simply falls at terminal velocity. For a
spherical 50g stone that is about 50 m/s. That's in the same range as a
paintball pellet. A 30cm diameter stone is going to smart, but isn't going
to go through flesh, or probably result in anything more than a nasty
bruise.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory