[meteorite-list] norwegian fall

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 13:41:43 EDT 2006

>>That has the look of a percussion mark, to me.
The shape is  elipsoidal, the internal part is fractured, the envolving rock
seams, by  contrast, healty.
It would be a strange rockslide.
Even if the scale of  the scar is dificult to evaluate from the photo, a mass
of an average car  falling at the final speed of a meteorite, would not let
more evidence on a  granite surface than this, I think.
Big craters form when cosmic speed is  maintained, with asteroid sized
bodies, but why are we expecting such a big  thing?<<

If a meteor was incandescent enough to be seen all the way to the  ground, we
are talking about something quite large...in the range of ten tons or  more.
This also would mean when it hit, it was traveling something in the
neighborhood of 9,000 mph or faster. When something this size and  velocity hits the
earth, there should be one heck of a whack...Which comes  to my puzzlement...how
come there are still healthy looking plants immediately  surrounding the
"bleme" in the photo? I think there probably was a meteorite  dropped somewhere,
but it was nowhere near the size to be seen hitting the  ground...unless a
witness just happened to be standing nearby. I also doubt any  meteorite of lesser
mass and velocity produced the so called "bleme".
george Zay