[meteorite-list] Norway Meteorite Impact Site Believed to be Found

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 19:25:53 EDT 2006

Sterling W. wrote:

<<(Truth is, meteoritic iron, tough as it is, is
often quite  brittle. Remember, inside it's only
50-100 deg K when it hits, so maybe no big
chunks.) Even if it was "only" a ton or two, it
would be worth looking for, obviously>>

Hola Sterling, That temperature quoted probably would have the metal  a tad
more brittle.  However your temperature expressed in absolute  Kelvin degrees
corresponds to about 200 degrees below zero centigrade (and  a lot more degrees
below zero Farenheit)

I don't mean to rehash this too much, but, no, a large meteoritic iron  comes
in at the boiling temperature of water and is actually 273 - over 300
degrees centigrade hotter than you say and certainly not brittle as you  indicate.
Earth is not magically a comfortable 25 degrees C either, but  that's another
story.  Plenty of arguments for what happen in the upper  atmosphere regarding
heating and cooling from terrestrial atmospheric sources,  but that 50 - 100
K perpetuates misinformation where we have been and done that  before, time to
move on Saludos, Doug