[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall in Norway?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 15:24:34 EDT 2006

>>At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern  part of
Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of  fire
taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes  later an impact could be heard and geophysics and
seismology research  foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and
seismic disturbances at  02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

"I saw a brilliant  flash of light in the sky, and this became a light
with a tail of smoke,"  Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the
object and then continued  to tend to his animals when he heard an
enormous crash.

"I heard the  bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off
a solid charge  of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

"There  were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into
the house,"  Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard
told  Aftenposten.no.

Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area  of several
hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit  summer
sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North  Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had  such a
powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the  meteorite
was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to  the
Hiroshima bomb.<<

Okay...reading the words carefully, I get the sense that there was a huge
sonic boom and no terminal burst. There was probably a meteorite that fell to
the ground somewhere. The report of it hitting a mountainside may be assumed
and  not necessarily had hit the ground with the power of a hiroshima bomb.  It
may have simply dropped. This just may be the sensation people got from the
air sonics as it passed over and not the sounds of an impact. There doesn't
seem  to be any eyewitness account of actually seeing it hit the  ground. Maybe
that will show up later? On the other hand, if it did  hit the ground while
still incandescent...then it must be a whopper...perhaps  ten tons or more.
George Zay