[meteorite-list] Bright Fireball Blazes Over Northern Minnesota

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 18:13:40 EDT 2006

>>Many witnesses described Friday's fireball as being green  or
bluish-green in color (common for a stony meteor), turning to red  near
the end of its flight.<<
I suspect this one did hit the ground somewhere. The reason because
witnesses said it "turned red near the end of it's flight." This is exactly  what I
saw in 1993 when a fireball over San Diego, California occurred. This  fireball
produced a very loud single "thunderclap" 243 seconds after it  disappeared.
At the very end of the meteor's incandescent phase, it turned a  dark
red...like a lit cigarette being tossed in the dark. When that winked  out, I was
barely able to perceive a dark object continuing the flight  for about a half
second. I suspect this may be a characteristic of a meteorite  dropping meteor if
carefully observed.
George Zay