[meteorite-list] Satellite Reentry Witness 3

Jeff Pringle jlp3 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 12:22:52 EDT 2006

In late August of '99 I was camping in the Nevada desert. One evening, as
twilight turned into darkness, a fireball burned across the sky from horizon
to horizon (that's a pretty big distance in the Nv desert!). I caught sight
of it at about 1/3 of the way across. It was traveling directly east at a
leisurely pace (compared to meteors), leaving a wide, glittering  trail of
many colors which hung in the air for a moment or three after. The most
amazing celestial spectacle I've ever seen, suprising and awesome.
I remember finding out that it was a satellite reentry, but don't recall the
details.

Jeff