[meteorite-list] Exciting News from Norway

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Mon Jul 31 17:35:18 EDT 2006

Dear Listees:

I just this minute received a satellite phone call from my neighbor
Mike Farmer. He is still in Norway, and asked me to post the following
news on his behalf:

Mike, Morton, and Robert Ward found a nice fresh specimen for the new
fall last night. Mike says it is a very fragile carbonaceous chondrite
with tiny chondrules, less than 1/2 mm across. The stone broke upon
impact and the team recovered a number of pieces.

Mike met with the curators of the Norwegian Natural History museum who
researched the question of exporting meteorites from Norway. Mike was
pleased to report that there are no laws prohibiting their find from
leaving the country.

Mike will post details to the List as soon as he gets a reliable
internet connection. That's all I have for now.

Mike is still in the field. Big congrats to Mike, Morton, and Robert.
There aren't many people who can say they've found a fresh carbonaceous
chondrite fall!

Regards,

Geoff N.