[meteorite-list] Word for "attracted by magnets"

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Tue Jul 18 20:04:30 EDT 2006

Hi Göran,

> Paramagnetic? Are you sure you don't mean ferromagnetic?

I guess I was fumbling for a word other than "magnetic" -- a
word that has a different meaning for most people.  In the
meteorite community, we all know what is meant when someone
says a meteorite is "magnetic"; perhaps ferromagnetic is the
correct word.  What I was looking for was the term that most
closely means "attracted by permanent magnets, but not (necessarily)
attracted to lumps of iron that are not permanent magnets."

--Rob