AW: [meteorite-list] Norwegian meteorite classification guessing game

Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Tue Jul 18 19:32:47 EDT 2006

First visit:

http://www.meteoritt.no/meteor.jpg

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com] Im Auftrag von Göran
Axelsson
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. Juli 2006 01:08
An: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Betreff: Re: [meteorite-list] Norwegian meteorite classification guessing
game

Matson, Robert wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is someone keeping track of all the guesses for the classification
> of the new Norwegian fall?  ;-)  I guess I can go back through the
> archives and collect them all.
>
> Based purely on statistics of falls, I'd be disinclined to join the
> chorus and pick carbonaceous chondrite.  An ordinary chondrite is
> far more probable.  That said, this doesn't much look like an H-
> or L-chondrite.  But equilibrated LL works for me.
>
> If I had to pick a carbonaceous type, I would rule out CB, CH, CI,
> CM, CV and CR.  That leaves only CO and CK, and it looks more like
> a CK to my eye than CO.  CKs are also very paramagnetic.  --Rob

Paramagnetic? Are you shure you don't mean ferromagnetic? Paramagnetic
is a very weak form of magnetic attraction, for example aluminium which
is a strong paramagnetic material.
The type of magnetism displayed by iron and nickel is called ferromagnetic.

I'm not trying to bring back the old magnetic discussion again, just
commenting on a detail.

I'm trying to decide if I will go to Norway or not, I have some things
to do but I could go there in a few days. I will probably go in the end,
a fall this close isn't happening too often but I have other things to do...

In any case, this is interesting.

  :-)

/Göran