[meteorite-list] Japanese immpact animation video

Francis Graham francisgraham at rocketmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:07:03 EDT 2006

> There is, of course, no object in the solar system
> at the present time that could do that, but they
> wanted all the drama they could get, I guess...

  I am not so sure one could categorically say that NO
object exists in the solar system that could do that.
A large Kuiper belt object, if deflected , might still
hit the Earth just like that. We don't have a good
enough map of the Kuiper belt to rule this out.
  But I nitpick. Sterling, your explanation was great,
and I agree it is MOST IMPROBABLE that any solar
system object today could do this.
  Seeing the nonflammable part of Big Ben enveloped by
rock vapor was very sobering...

Francis Graham