[meteorite-list] Amusing "Chicago Sun-Times" Article

almitt almitt at kconline.com
Fri Jul 7 14:13:26 EDT 2006

Hi Geoff and Listees,

I think you have hit the nail on the head in regards to this find which
is in pieces. I am sure he wants this to be larger than Steve Arnolds
orientated specimen. How can we be sure that what is in the hole he has
found isn't other fragments from other finds? I guess if they can put
them all together then I'd be satisfied that it WAS one of the largest
masses of the Brenham fall. Other wise anyone can accumulate fragments
from this fall and claim the largest specimen.

I have to go with the largest intact fragment as counting as the largest
main mass. Otherwise we might be subject to others gathering fragments
and claiming to have the main mass. An example of this is Long Island
(at the Field Museum) which is in may fragments and somewhat put
together and at one time was a larger specimen.

Hope this doesn't get into a main mass discussion :-;

--AL Mitterling