[meteorite-list] Newest Lunar meteorite at the Tucson Gem show and weathe...

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 11:08:40 EST 2006

Bernd kindly mulled over Jeff's clarification for the Wlotzka weathering
scale:
>If meteoriticists ever decided to define a weathering scale  specifically
>for lunar (or Martian) meteorites....scale probably have to  be based on?

Hola, would terrestrial carbonate formation be a good metric?  depth  and
magnitude of the gradient of terrestrial carbonates from exposed  surface to the
interior?  One problem I could see in standardizing this  would be that
different environments on earth will yield different types of  weathering, so the
scale might not generalize too easily. Even the Wlotzska  scale only measures
the parameters Jeff mentioned, so possibly a chondrite would  be comparatively
fresher if one changed the parameters to other ones of interest  to
researchers.

Saludos, Doug

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de writes:
Jeff kindly wrote:

"There is no  weathering scale defined for lunar meteorites, so you cannot
call it W0-1.
By  using these numbers you are saying that metal and troilite are not
weathered."

Hello Jeff, Mike, and List,

If meteoriticists ever  decided to define a weathering scale specifically
for lunar (or Martian)  meteorites, what or which parameters would such a
scale probably have to be  based on?

Cheers,

Bernd