[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 22:20:04 EST 2006

Dear List,

I noticed some dealers and collectors are calling pairings that are smaller
than the largest piece of a pairing series the "Main Mass".  An example
would be if an 8 kilogram Martian meteorite was called DAG 476. Then
somebody comes up with a smaller 1 kilogram meteorite named DAG XXX which
was found to paired to DAG 476.  Then the dealer sells the 1 Kilogram DAG
XXX as a "Main Mass." I think this practice is misleading and dishonest. I
think the term "Secondary Largest Mass" may be more appropriate.

What do you think?

Adam