[meteorite-list] Nickel test

Ingo Herkstroeter metopaster at gmx.de
Fri Jan 6 09:49:24 EST 2006

Hi Pierre-Marie and List!

I had problems with the Ni-test (with dimethylglyoxime) too. The problem is,
that this substance shows a reaction with Fe2+-ions too. So you don´t know,
if the pink reaction shows truly Ni or only iron (iron dissolves much more
better in HCl than Ni)!
It seems that there is only one way to be sure: use also H202
(hydrogenperoxide or hydrogensuperoxide) to oxidise the Fe2+-ions, than
testing with dimethylglyoxime. If you see pink, it´s Ni!

Hope this will help you.

Ingo/Germany