[meteorite-list] old woman meteorite

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 00:59:08 EST 2006

Adam and the anonymous  commentator:   Actually, it is a very good scientific
question.   The person who asked was obviously thinking about sedimentary
layers in the  mountains or their favorite geology text, or maybe the discovery
channel.

I'd rephrase the answer to be:
Shale in geology is the  fragmentary-type sedimentary layer that splits in a
planar manner usually has  high silicate content from the clays it formed
originally from (with the help of  sea creatures).  Clays, very frequently absorb
water in sheet like  macromolecules with high silicates so you can see where
the planar shale  splitting derives from...You can have a sedimentary shale
high in Calcium  (calcium carbonate) from skeletons and shells typically in
ancient water sites.  Coals are also shales (remember the "strip" miners - an
illusion to this planar  like splitting), when the same types of materials get
carbonaceous.

In  the case of the iron meteorite, or for that matter, an old buried Colt 45
or  horseshoe, the iron rusts in a manner that is layered, and splits off in
a  planar manner....Voila - it can also be called shale for this planar
splitting  characteristic.  Just like an onion rind, not to be confused with the
onion  rind model of asteroids!

Saludos, Doug
(Hoping to bring my iron pick  to a far far away eucrite shale sometime and
look for nice "diogenite  crystals"!)

In a message dated 1/3/2006 10:58:39 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time,