[meteorite-list] Comments re: membrane boxes from Ron Hartman

stan . laser_maniac at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 12 12:20:32 EST 2006

>I know this was discussed a few years ago on the list but could you address
>which might better for meteorites in terms of curation.  If I recall, there
>was some concern about the padding used in the non-membrane type boxes
>being potentially harmful to meteorites.

actually, i thought there was some issue with the membrane boxes in terms of
the plastic keeping any moisture locked up against the surface when you
store slices in them? I know i have purchased some slices that went into
membrane boxes and later showed rust where half individuals from the same
source didnt show any rust when stored simply on a shelf. i know this is
hardly a scientific comparison though, but FWIW.... i wonder if the plastic
in a membrane box could somehow be impregnated with that VCI stuff....