[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 28

VisualThinker7 at aol.com VisualThinker7 at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 14:17:19 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/7/2006 12:02:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
meteorite-list-request at meteoritecentral.com writes:

Reentering space junk is slow, and is usually reported as
green.

Chris

I'm guessing that 'space junk' is slower because it was in orbit, and as  the
orbit decayed it entered the atmosphere as a shallow angle. Then, as the
atmosphere grew thicker, it slowed gradually.

All of the green fireballs I've seen during my years of hiking and camping
out west were close to the ground. The much smaller and more numerous ones
further away always appeared white.