[meteorite-list] Crust on old meteorites - Campo, Nantan, Morasko type

tracy latimer daistiho at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:12:31 EST 2006

Marcin sez:
>If spacimen stay in my room for year and its stable, then Im sure its
>stable
>enough to stay stable for years. Ofcourse there could be alvays someone who
>have skills to make rusty not only my morasko, but also Taza or Chinga :)

I regret to say that I am one of those people who has trouble with Chinga
rusting.  I purchased a small mirror-polished slice from ebay 4 or 5 years
ago, and unfortunately the Hawaiian salt air has taken its toll, despite a
light film of oil and being sealed in a gem jar.  One end has a fine web of
rust, and it will require the NaOH-alcohol treatment, probably after the
holidays when things aren't so busy.

Oddly enough, Dronino a notorious ruster has not rusted for me (yet), and my
Nantan, although it came with a fine film of oxide, has not crumbled to
shale and lawrencite yet!  It just goes to show you can't tell by casual
inspection which meteorites will rust despite your tender care, and which
will perversely(?) stay whole.

Tracy Latimer