[meteorite-list] Meteor Shape

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 17 03:32:16 EDT 2006

Hi Rick-

It isn't really possible that you saw the shape of the meteor itself- at
the largest it was probably less than a meter across, and at its end at
least 30 km high. But meteors can produce some peculiar atmospheric
effects- what you saw could have been that, or could have been a visual
illusion. Given the angle you saw it burn out, any material that fell to
the ground would have been many miles away. Most likely, however,
nothing reached the ground. Given the timing it is very possible you saw
a Perseid meteor; if so it was even smaller (a few cm at most) and
higher, and definitely wouldn't have produced meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com