[meteorite-list] Fireball Over Texas 'Turned Night Into Day'

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 4 11:57:00 EDT 2006

http://www.local6.com/spotlight/9628604/detail.html

Fireball Over Texas 'Turned Night Into Day'
local6.com
August 4, 2006

A fireball seen streaking through the sky in Lakeway, Texas,
"turned night to day," according to a police officer who
witnessed the event.

[SLIDESHOW: Fireball Images]

A police cruiser dashcam videotaped the streak at about
11 p.m. Wednesday.

Hundreds of residents who witnessed the bright light in the
sky called police and media, KNBC-TV reported.

"A police officer who captured the video said the light turned
night into day," Local 6's Jacqueline London said.

Astronomers said the light was either a meteor fireball or
space junk entering the atmosphere, according to the report.

http://www.wesh.com/news/9624741/detail.html

Dashcam Captures Lights In Sky
Hundreds Of Residents Call Police, Media
wesh.com
August 3, 2006

LAKEWAY, Texas -- Bright lights that were caught on camera
bolting across the sky Tuesday night have a lot of Central
Texans asking: What were they?

A Lakeway police cruiser dashcam recorded two flashes shortly
after 11 p.m. CDT.

The lights caught the attention of hundreds of residents who
called police and the local media.

Charla Changos and her husband were at their pool when they
saw the lights.

"Just the two flashes, ... (and) then just a ball of fire
going through the sky," Changos said. "We both just sat
there and went, 'Oh my gosh, oh my gosh.'"

An amateur astronomer said the lights were a meteor fireball
and not space junk re-entering the Earth's atmosphere.

However, a Web site that tracks orbiting space junk showed a
Russian booster rocket passing over Central Texas at nearly
the same time as the two flashes.