[meteorite-list] Norway Team, Lahoma, 2007 Meteorite Festival, Tucson

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Tue Aug 1 11:28:51 EDT 2006

Hello Everybody,

Hope everyone is doing well.

First, Congratulations to Mike Farmer, Morton, and Robert Ward for their
success in Norway.  It sounds like a wonderful trip even if you didn’t
recover anything.  Finding something surely helps justify it to the wallet.

Thanks to Geoff Notkin for the photographs of the flood in Tucson.

I received a complete slice of Lahoma from Michael Cottingham yesterday and
thought I would share some pictures of this interesting chondrite.  Lahoma
is a fresh L5 with green chondrules (?) and black inclusions. The meteorite
is a black chondrite, which make the matrix want to hide from a camera lens.
Mixed within are small black inclusions, webbed shock veins, occasional bold
chondrules and many clusters of green. The black inclusions I imagine were
formed the same time as the shock veins. Evidence of a likely ancient space
impact. They are mostly round and scattered about my slice. One black
inclusion on my slice is very straight and about 4 mm. long. The clusters of
green appear to be melted olivine chondrules and are present throughout the
slice. These clusters are best seen when specimens are flooded with light,
such as my photo lights provide. The occasional bold chondrules are scarce,
and on my specimen, have a light jade color. Triolite is present, usually
beside specks of nickel-iron.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/collahoma.html

The mayor of Haviland recently sent me a letter, thanking me for
participating in the 2006 Meteorite Festival, and noting that the 2007
Meteorite Festival is scheduled for July 8.  If you did not make the 2006
Festival, then this might be great chance to come to Kansas.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com