[meteorite-list] RE...Metal Tektite's....

tracy latimer daistiho at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 23 15:33:25 EDT 2006

Well, if you want to get picky, technically you can get that type of
material from an iron meteorite, although I'm not sure I'd call it a
tektite.  Canyon Diablo is well known for having partly vaporized on impact;
the resultant iron vapor recondensed and seeded the desert for kilometers
around with metallic droplets that cooled into tiny spheres.  I don't think
there was any mixture of gas and solid, though.  Either the fragment
remained metal all the way down, or it vaporized on impact.

Tracy Latimer